Saturday, March 21, 2009

Second Prep Class - March 11

I'm a little slow getting this up, but I've been super busy.

For this class we talked about the payments we need to make, the forms we need to fill out, the textbook for the class, and briefly about the classes that would be offered. Then we went on to the history lecture about Medieval England.

When we discussed the payments Dr. Paxman told us he thought he knew the final cost of the trip, but that it hadn’t been made official yet. We would be told the official final cost the following day. The final cost he had heard was correct, $4,600! The price range we were given for the trip cost was $4,700-$5,100, so it's below the low!! That makes me so happy! I like it when things turn out cheaper than you thought they would be. :-D So the following day I went in and paid the final balance so I’m all paid up and ready to hit the ground running!

When it came to the textbook there were some issues. We were told in the first class that the book would be available at the bookstore. I went in Thursday between classes to pick it up but alas, there were none. I asked at the information desk and was told that a shipment would be coming in probably on Monday, so I should check back then. That’s fine, I thought. I can get my book on Monday and have my reading all done by Wednesday… yeah… not so much.

I went in on Monday and the order hadn’t shown up. This time I was told, “umm, it would be a good idea to fill out a special order form so that we make sure we get one for you.” So I did that. On the down side I was forced to wait on regular shipping time, 3-5 business days. Great! I wouldn’t be able to get my book in time.

After that, I emailed my TA and explained my plight. She told me she was meeting with the directors later that day and would bring up the book shortage. So, on Wednesday when we had our class they asked how many people still didn’t have their books and about 2/3 of the class raised their hands. “Okay, well that’s a bit more than expected. We’ll push the reading deadline back. Catch up when you get your book.” Then someone in the back of the class said that they were able to pick up their book that morning in the bookstore. A shipment had come in. Cool! I thought. I’ll go get my book right after class.

I went to do that, and of course I had accidentally left my receipt at home. The guy was merciful on me and said he just needed to see my student ID. I gave it to him and he went back in search of my book. Well, my book wasn’t with that order. I could see the book I needed on the shelf behind the desk, but they were all reserved for other students! Gah! The guy gave me an apologetic look and another girl behind the desk was like, “oh, just give her one of those books. I doubt all seven people are going to be showing up in the next couple days to pick up their books, we’ll probably have the new order in by then," so the guy gave me a book! I feel bad for the person that now has to wait, but I appreciate the mercy of that guy! So in the following days I was able to get my reading done.

Toward the end of class we split up based on which semester we were going and Dr. Hawkins explained to us what places he would be discussing and quite possibly visiting (WOOT!). Here’s some of the ones I had time to write down:

Stonehenge
British Museum
Bath
Westminster Abbey
Windsor
Cambridge
The Globe Theater
Hampton Court
Regent’s Park
Bank of England
Buckingham Palace
Parliament
Imperial War Museum
Millennium Bridge

I’m so freakin’ excited! I think I say that a lot when I’m talking about study abroad, but it’s so true! Well, that was the basic rundown of what class was on the 11th. I’m learning a ton, probably because I’m a sponge when it comes to things about England. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment