Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Accepted to the Program

I’d had this blog in mind since I decided to apply for BYU’s London Study Abroad, summer 2009 program. I knew that if I was accepted, I would want to blog my experience (and hopefully be better about updating than my other blog) so that I could share it with anyone who wanted to know what was happening. Well, here we go!

I have always been interested in England and the English culture. The majority of my dad’s side of the family is originally from England, specifically Cornwall. I found a website that says the surname “Cawrse” is Cornish, and means “bog.” I guess you can call me Allison of the bog! Anyway, as I’ve studied English literature the last couple semesters my interest has grown. In the beginning of December I realized one morning that I REALLY wanted to go on a study abroad trip to London. From there it’s been like a freight train flying down the tracks, nothing could stop me. Much like she did when I decided to become an English major, my mom called me within the hour. I think she has some strange sixth sense that tells her when I’ve decided to do something BIG.

I got my application done a couple weeks ago, had two interviews six days ago, and got my acceptance letter this evening.

Dear Allison Cawrse:
Congratulations on your acceptance to BYU's Summer 2009 London SA Summer program.
Participation in an international experience can be life-changing and I encourage you to do all you can to prepare for this experience by studying the basic geography, cultural customs, and the history of the places you will visit. You will be required to attend a preparation class which will further orient you for your in-country experience. We have found that the better prepared students are for these experiences, the more they get out of them.
[...]
We are happy that you have chosen such an excellent complement to your education at BYU. Previous students have unanimously referred to their international study as one of the most significant experiences of their entire college career. We welcome you to the growing number of BYU students who believe "The world is our campus." If you have other questions, please contact us at […].

Well, here begins my journey! I need to register for my preparation class, figure out my flights, do a LOT of reading about England, decide what things are essential to take, and SAVE MONEY!

I’ll update you on my progress via this blog! Please leave comments, suggestions, questions, or anything else through the comments. I've set the comments to allow ANYONE, registered or not, to be able to leave comments. Once I’m actually there I’ll continue to update with pictures, notes, and very possibly videos, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment